It is important for every staf, student, parent adn community member to know and encourage appropriate digital citizenship behaviors and address related technology issues in a responsible and productive way. Our society is full of technology and too often we see people misusing and abusing it. Below are the nine components of digital citizenship that everyone should practice.
9 Components of Digital Citizenship
1. Digital Etiquette - electronic standards of conduct or procedure
2. Digital Communication - electronic exchange of information
3. Digital Access - full electronic participation in society
4. Digital Law - electronic responsibility for actions and deeds
5. Digital Commerce - electronic buying and selling of goods
6. Digital Literacy - process of teaching and learning about technology and the use of technology
7. Digital Rights & Responsibilities - those freedoms extended to everyone in a digital world
8. Digital Health & Wellness - physical and psychological well-being in a digital technology world
9. Digital Security / Safety (self-protection) - electronic precautions to guarantee safety.
Common Sense Media - Digital Literacy and Citizenship Classroom Curriculum
Digital Media - New learners of the 21st Century " ...targeted at parents, teachers, and anyone concerned about education in America, explores how exceptional educators are increasingly using digital media and interactive practices to ignite their students' curiosity and ingenuity, help them become civically engaged, allow them to collaborate with peers worldwide, and empower them to direct their own learning."- pbs.org
Digital Citizenship Learning Center from Cyberwise
Media Smarts - Canada's Center for Digital and Media Literacy
ISTE - Digital Citizenship and Innovation